Classic movie site with rare images, original ads, and behind-the-scenes photos, with informative and insightful commentary. We like to have fun with movies!
Archive and Links
grbrpix@aol.com
Search Index Here




Sunday, February 06, 2011


Greenbriar Horror Of Dracula Week --- Part One



Like Jonathan Harker with his diary, I want to get all this down while there are daylight hours and memory maintains. First comes need to confess imposter status discussing Horror of Dracula without ever having seen it theatrically, a believe me great regret despite childhood/adolescent effort spent toward that frustrated goal. Here I'll go again on how lucky viewers are today. Click on Amazon, stream the thing, borrow from a friend, and Horror Of Dracula is yours, along with everything else extant. Was fruit the sweeter then for having to climb so high to pick it? I'd refer you to a photo-telling of both Curse Of Frankenstein and Horror Of Dracula (above) published by Jim Warren in March 1965, two Hammer grails shown and re-shown everywhere but the Liberty ... Warren's black-and-white frame blow-ups a poor substitute for blood-color these were noted for, but a best you'd do along with gum cards and whatever Ackerman/Beck put between (or on) covers of respective monster monthlies. Knowing it had come out in 1958, an impossibly long reach across time when you're ten, made Horror Of Dracula seem all the more unlikely a hope to be realized. Maybe I'd just have to go a life not seeing it and make best of that ...








Universal had done a one-picture deal with Seven Arts and Hammer for Dracula with color and sleek scares in line with 1957's Curse Of Frankenstein. The fangs-ter show was shot in a UK winter of '57 and turned over to domestic-distributing U-I for school's out 1958, Universal having rushed in-house companion, The Thing That Couldn't Die, a black-and-white passenger more likely to raise shudders from boredom than fright, its existence justified by need of something on bills with Dracula. Trade ads began in March, well ahead of later in Spring opening. U-I's optimism was evident in mid-May announcement of an expanded deal with Seven Arts/Hammer for a multiple-picture distribution pact, as reported by Variety, including a sequel to not-yet-released Horror Of Dracula, the pic re-named to differentiate same from oldies on TV and Drac-glut filling theatres over a past season. Confusion with these would result in Horror Of Dracula going out minus a crucial Production Code Administration seal (U-I's first to do so), that snafu occurring due to earlier registration by independent Gramercy Pictures of their Return Of Dracula and the PCA's Title Bureau not having yet given clearance. Did such confusion alert Universal to importance of separating their deluxe Dracula from chaff offered by rivals?















U Swarms Over Field, said Variety of the company's move on behalf of three for summer selling. These were A Time to Love and A Time to Die, This Happy Feeling, and the Horror Of Dracula/The Thing That Couldn't Die package. Ten field reps would cover eighteen openings for the chiller duo, including New York's Mayfair Theatre set for midnight, May 28, with stars Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee to appear and sign autographs a following day. Hammer head (did that come out right?) James Carreras accompanied the two as guests at a Uni headquarters luncheon held the 27th, press and columnists on hand to greet UK visitors. I found but a pair of images (both above) from that august meet, but can imagine cheer among this group only hours away from Horror Of Dracula's epochal Mayfair bow. Christopher Lee was presented with a surprise birthday cake, icing of appropriate blood-dripping variety. Expressions here are priceless ... Cushing nonplussed as expansive Chris plunges a knife into the pastry, the post-dining cigar suggestive of a man well pleased by America's embrace of his Dracula. If ever I were to meet Sir Christopher, this luncheon would be first item on my asking agenda.





























James Carreras had reason to go proud. His Hammer firm had contributed seven out of sixty-three features made in England during 1957, few among total scoring like his Curse of Frankenstein or generating buzz to equal Dracula's. There were already US distribution deals with Columbia and United Artists for Hammer product, Carreras putting trade press on notice that his next would be Frankenstein Created Woman for Universal release, plus a new Hound Of The Baskervilles. He reveled in "top-notch production values" Hammer films boasted, adding that horror cheapies won't last and would garner unintended laughs. This wasn't to say Carreras was stuck on chiller subjects, being ready enough to shift production elsewhere once interest lagged in genre pics. I'm prepared to make Strauss waltzes tomorrow if they'll make money, said he to Variety. What the producer wanted was deals with US companies and access thus provided to worldwide markets American product reached. There is no British distributor who can match it, Carreras concluded. He was pleased enough cooperating with Universal in bringing Cushing and Lee to raise awareness of the Hammer brand, though Universal's advertising on Horror Of Dracula missed targets Carreras aimed for and hit back in England, namely sex lure exemplified in this newest Dracula. Emphasis on graveyards and bats Universal used to sell the film was outmoded and wide of erotic potential HoD offered, patrons hard put getting past notion this was just another monster movie.

Here are Horror Of Dracula Parts Two and Three.

18 Comments:

Blogger Dave K said...

Great post... how I remember (and loved) that Warren ink on paper double feature. I had just started catching Hammer Films in the theater (always had to talk a semi-interested buddy or sibling into accompanying me on the long trek to the nearest grindhouse). Think EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN billed with NIGHTMARE, seen on my 13th birthday, may have been my first. Then a 'respectable' theater four towns away had a one shot Saturday matinee resurrecting both CURSE and HORROR sometime in the mid-sixties. No car, no license... did a lot of horse trading to get a pal to taxi me me in. No big horror fan, he did allow that both films were pretty good although "that monster was kinda crappy looking." I thought everything was wonderful, even Phil Leaky's make-up job. A favorite memory. Revisited both movies on Netflix recently... both still hold up. Oh, and I still stay in touch with the buddy too. Out of the blue, he was kidding me just the other day "Remember those old blood n' boobs Hammer horror movies. God, you loved 'em as a kid!"

4:00 PM  
Anonymous mido505 said...

A number of years ago, I had the pleasure of seeing Horror of Dracula at a revival showing in Cambridge, MA, at the famed Brattle Theater. Neither the space, nor the screen, was particularly large, but the print was decent, and the experience of watching one of my favorite films with an enthusiastic audience (many of whom, it seems, were seeing it for the first time) was revelatory. Many in the audience appeared to be prepared to snicker their way through a campy old relic, and there was actually some laughter during during the more melodramatic early scenes, such as Dracula's attack on Harker and the vampire woman in the library. That nonsense soon ended as the film exuded its mesmerizing power; as the dust from the Count's decayed hand blew away under the closing credits, the audience rose and gave the film a standing ovation.

From an aesthetic point of view, I think I would most appreciate seeing Horror's sequel, Dracula Prince of Darkness, on the big screen. It's the only Hammer Dracula shot in 2.35 scope, and Michael Reed's masterly cinematography nearly equals the hallucinatory beauty of Jack Asher's work on the early Hammer Horrors. The print used for Anchor Bay's old DVD release was faded and disappointing, but I once caught a showing of Prince on TV (TCM?) that was jaw-droppingly beautiful, and stunning in its vivid immediacy, so I know pristine elements are out there.

I grew up in Massachusetts, and Boston was a great town for film geeks. As a teenager I saw most of Orson Welles' films on the big screen; I once sat for 48 hours straight watching Russ Meyer's oeuvre; and I was lucky to catch a number of uncut Hammer films including the Karnstein Trilogy, The Reptile, Plague of the Zombies, Frankenstein Created Woman, and Captain Kronos.

4:34 PM  
Blogger James Corry said...

John, what I'd like to know is: WHEN will we be seeing a blu-ray release of the recent restoration of this film done in England and shown under it's original title: "Dracula" (in the fancy scroll-lettering) I thought that, by now, a British company would have done this. "Dracula" is probably Hammer's crowning achievement and a blu-ray of this film should REALLY be forthcoming.....

James (Brad)

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really brought back memories of my youth with your excellent post on "Horror of Dracula". I was 12 years old in early summer of 1958 when my dad asked me if I would like to go to New York City with him for the day. I was very excited at the prospect because he rarely went into the city anymore and he never took me with him before.

After having lunch at the Horn and Hardart's Cafeteria right on Times Square (aka the Automat where the food was placed behind glass doors which were coin operated), Dad asked me if I would like to see a movie. I said that I would like it very much but had no idea what was playing. He said that all we needed to do was go outside and walk up and down the street and we would have a dozen different choices. Sure enough, as soon as we left the Automat, there were at least six or seven theatres within view.

Without taking a step, I eagerly scanned the marquees for something cool and there it was! "Horror of Dracula" starring Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. I didn't know anything about the movie, nor had I ever heard of the actors who were starring, but I just knew I had to see it. Much to my surprise, my father agreed to take me. What a magical, yet terrifying experience that movie was for this 12 year old boy. Now that was a real, honest to goodness horror movie, the likes of which I had never seen before and the likes of which I may never see again.

Thanks, Dad, wherever you are!!

PS I don't remember the name of the theatre. Could it have been the Mayfair?

10:32 PM  
Blogger Mike Cline said...

HORROR OF DRACULA in SALISBURY, N.C.

October 1-4, 1958 - CENTER Theatre - played with THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE

December 31, 1958-January 1, 1959 - SALISBURY DRIVE-IN Theatre

June 21-23, 1959 - 601 DRIVE-IN Theatre - played with TEENAGE REBEL

May 14, 1960 - 601 DRIVE-IN Theatre - played with THE MONOLITH MONSTERS, MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS and LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON

October 20-22, 1960 - JOE'S DRIVE-IN Theatre - played with GIRLS ON THE LOOSE

April 20-22, 1962 - JOE'S DRIVE-IN Theatre - played with BLOOD OF THE VAMPIRE and THE MUMMY (1959)

May 1-2, 1971 - 601 DRIVE-IN Theatre - played with CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and MY SON, THE VAMPIRE

10:57 AM  
Blogger MDG14450 said...

I'll be the odd man out here and admit that I was never a fan of the Hammer Dracula and Frankenstein films (I grew up with them on TV and never had a big screen experience with them 'til seeing Horror of Dracula at Eastman House--didn't change my mind).

I think what bugs me most about them is that for all the talk of "production values," it always felt to me like the sets had just been built, the costumes just sewn, and the blood obviously artificial--everything was fake and the characters just play acting. (Plus, I don't like Chris Lee, which is probably why I can enjoy Brides of Dracula and some of the later hemo-sapphic Hammers).

I'm a big fan of Amicus, though.

12:47 PM  
Blogger J. Theakston said...

A couple of years ago for the 50th anniversary of the NY Open, I ran both HORROR OF DRAC and THING THAT COULDN'T DIE as a double feature. I have to say that the latter is quite downplayed—not a bad little flick on the big screen, really, and one of two feature credit for Will Cowan, who was head of Universal's musical short department for years.

One thing that struck me on a recent viewing of the film is how simple but effective Jack Asher's lighting is in the film. Check out the scene where Harker reads the note left behind by Drac serving him dinner and check out the deliberate set-up of Fresnel light reflections (and the color gels he's using) in the reflection of the silver serving cover.

Asher's first color film was THE SECRET, a pretty good Brit suspense film directed by Cy Endfield. A friend of mine had a print of it, but apparently when it was released in America, it was only shown in Black & White. I would love to see it in color some day.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Michael said...

James: Horror of Dracula, along with Curse of Frankenstein and The Mummy, has come up more than once over the past several years in the online "chats" Warner Home Video occasionally does. There's always an upgrade to all three titles coming sometime in the future, but that future never seems to get here.

I remember there being a lot of complaints that Horror of Dracula was framed at the incorrect ratio on DVD, resulting in material being cut off at the top and bottom of the frame.

John: Is The Thing That Couldn't Die the one about a family living on a ranch in the American southwest who is tormented by the severed, but still living, head of a three hundred years dead warlock? I remember seeing that one on television years ago, but don't remember much at all about it.

7:35 PM  
Blogger John McElwee said...

Frank, the Mayfair Theatre was located on Times Square, according to information I found, so you may well have seen "Horror Of Dracula" there, which must have been a great day ... and imagine lunch at the automat beforehand ... could life get any better?

Michael, your description sounds like "The Thing That Couldn't Die" that I saw, but it's been years ...

Mike, if I'd known about that show at the 601 Drive-In in 1971, I'd have driven down.

Jack, that's so neat your running the original double bill of HoD and TTWD. Inspired programming!

MDG, I would also say "Brides Of Dracula" is my all-time favorite Hammer, partly because it's one I DID see in the theatre ... on two happy occasions.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I'd love it if they'd release a legit proper looking dvd of The Thing That Couldn't Die.Having watched it again recently,theres much more than meets the eye in the character and atmosphere dept.than those sunday afternnoon tv showing eons ago..
I think my memories of seeing Hammer horror(the early ones mainly) for the first time in theatres and tv are more than what I think of them now.As mentioned above about things looking too new..everything pretty basic,little if any dramatic lighting,everything too stark..I also find Amicus a little more to my liking..and the Mario Bava's bringing more colorful bang for your Buck..

2:13 AM  
Blogger Mike Cline said...

"May 1-2, 1971 - 601 DRIVE-IN Theatre - played with CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and MY SON, THE VAMPIRE"

"Mike, if I'd known about that show at the 601 Drive-In in 1971, I'd have driven down."


I missed it as well. I didn't move here until the very next month.

9:07 AM  
Blogger MDG14450 said...

I should have mentioned that The Thing That Wouldn't Die used to be one of my favorites when it would show up on Creature Features.

It might also be my favorite MST3K (viewable on YouTube)

11:09 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

I saw HORROR OF DRACULA at my local sub-run, weekends-only theatre in 1961. My friend Steve and I went to the Saturday afternoon double-feature. HORROR was supposed to lead off, but either the theatre screwed up or the newspaper listings were wrong. So, as we eagerly anticipated some Dracula action, what should flash on the screen but CHARTREUSE CABOOSE starring Miss Molly Bee? We groaned, but sat through it.
Finally the real thing arrived, but I was pretty far gone with anticipatory fear. When the camera moved in on the "Dracula" name on the crypt, my heart was pounding dangerously. When the blood started to drip, I was done. I told Steve I had to go, my mom would be worried. He begged me to stay because he wasn't allowed to stay by himself. But I was just too scared and we left.
By the next day, I had recovered and was determined to not be defeated by a little movie blood. I went back to the LeRose Theatre all alone (sorry, Steve) and, yes, sat through CHARTREUSE CABOOSE again. But this time I toughed it out and watched HORROR OF DRACULA. And I am so so glad I did. It's a childhood memory that remains burned in my brain--in a really good way.
Thanks for the terrific post on a great movie.

12:13 PM  
Blogger John McElwee said...

Draculas come and go, Rick, but there's only ONE Molly Bee.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John-- a couple years ago some book came out with a title like "10 Films That Were Released At The Wrong Time"-- something like that-- the thesis being, the films in question were a bit too early, a bit too late, or just misfired at the box office for unaccountable reasons. And I remember reading that the author classified HORROR OF DRACULA in there-- "...too bad it didn't do as well as it should," that tone of stuff. Now, I've never heard of HOD doing anything but boffo, as your first two-thirds of your report relates. Comments? -- Ted Newsom

3:53 AM  
Blogger John McElwee said...

Ted, that's a good point I've thought a lot about.

It seems to me that HoD would have done a lot better in a less crowded summer, competing as it was with so many scare shows and even another Dracula (Return Of ...). I also agree with James Carreras that HoD was sold wrong, as U-I went with a standard chiller campaign instead of emphasizing the sex angle more. I was always a little disappointed with paper/ads they generated for this show that deserved better.

HoD did boffo alright ... for a horror movie ... a million in domestic rentals was not to be sneezed at ... but "Macabre" actually did better according to figures I've seen, which in hindsight, and judging by qualities of both, seems insane.

6:45 AM  
Blogger MDG14450 said...

This book:
http://www.amazon.com/Ghouls-Gimmicks-Gold-American-Business/dp/0822332159/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297260880&sr=8-2-fkmr2

...is a good, if somewhat dry study of how horror movies were marketed in the 50s and 60s and has, I think, a whole chapter on the first Hammers

9:16 AM  
Blogger John McElwee said...

Agreed, MDG. I read that book and liked it a lot.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

grbrpix@aol.com
  • December 2005
  • January 2006
  • February 2006
  • March 2006
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • March 2009
  • April 2009
  • May 2009
  • June 2009
  • July 2009
  • August 2009
  • September 2009
  • October 2009
  • November 2009
  • December 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • July 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • November 2010
  • December 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011
  • May 2011
  • June 2011
  • July 2011
  • August 2011
  • September 2011
  • October 2011
  • November 2011
  • December 2011
  • January 2012
  • February 2012
  • March 2012
  • April 2012
  • May 2012
  • June 2012
  • July 2012
  • August 2012
  • September 2012
  • October 2012
  • November 2012
  • December 2012
  • January 2013
  • February 2013
  • March 2013
  • April 2013
  • May 2013
  • June 2013
  • July 2013
  • August 2013
  • September 2013
  • October 2013
  • November 2013
  • December 2013
  • January 2014
  • February 2014
  • March 2014
  • April 2014
  • May 2014
  • June 2014
  • July 2014
  • August 2014
  • September 2014
  • October 2014
  • November 2014
  • December 2014
  • January 2015
  • February 2015
  • March 2015
  • April 2015
  • May 2015
  • June 2015
  • July 2015
  • August 2015
  • September 2015
  • October 2015
  • November 2015
  • December 2015
  • January 2016
  • February 2016
  • March 2016
  • April 2016
  • May 2016
  • June 2016
  • July 2016
  • August 2016
  • September 2016
  • October 2016
  • November 2016
  • December 2016
  • January 2017
  • February 2017
  • March 2017
  • April 2017
  • May 2017
  • June 2017
  • July 2017
  • August 2017
  • September 2017
  • October 2017
  • November 2017
  • December 2017
  • January 2018
  • February 2018
  • March 2018
  • April 2018
  • May 2018
  • June 2018
  • July 2018
  • August 2018
  • September 2018
  • October 2018
  • November 2018
  • December 2018
  • January 2019
  • February 2019
  • March 2019
  • April 2019
  • May 2019
  • June 2019
  • July 2019
  • August 2019
  • September 2019
  • October 2019
  • November 2019
  • December 2019
  • January 2020
  • February 2020
  • March 2020
  • April 2020
  • May 2020
  • June 2020
  • July 2020
  • August 2020
  • September 2020
  • October 2020
  • November 2020
  • December 2020
  • January 2021
  • February 2021
  • March 2021
  • April 2021
  • May 2021
  • June 2021
  • July 2021
  • August 2021
  • September 2021
  • October 2021
  • November 2021
  • December 2021
  • January 2022
  • February 2022
  • March 2022
  • April 2022
  • May 2022
  • June 2022
  • July 2022
  • August 2022
  • September 2022
  • October 2022
  • November 2022
  • December 2022
  • January 2023
  • February 2023
  • March 2023
  • April 2023
  • May 2023
  • June 2023
  • July 2023
  • August 2023
  • September 2023
  • October 2023
  • November 2023
  • December 2023
  • January 2024
  • February 2024
  • March 2024